Go NAP SACC Screen Time
For this self-assessment, screen time includes any time spent watching shows or playing games (including active video games) on a screen. Screens can include televisions; desktop, laptop, or tablet computers; or smart phones. For children 2 years of age and older, screen time does not include using e-books or tablet computers to read children stories, using Smart Boards for interactive instruction, or connecting with families through Skype or other videoconferencing programs.
Before you begin:
- Gather parent handbooks, daily schedules, and other documents that state your policies and guidelines about screen time.
As you assess:
- Answer choices in parentheses ( ) are for half-day programs. Full-day programs should use the answer choices without parentheses.
- Definitions of key words are marked by asterisks (*).
- Answer each question as best you can, thinking about your general practices. If none of the answer choices seem quite right, just pick the closest fit. If a question does not apply to your program, move to the next question.
Understanding your results:
- The last choices represent the best practice recommendations in this area. To interpret your results, compare your responses to these best practice recommendations. This will show you your strengths and the areas in which your program can improve.