Let’s Ask Licensing

Let’s Ask Licensing

is an opportunity for child care providers to get clarification surrounding questions they may have regarding regulations for licensed child care programs. Licensing questions are featured in the Child Care Aware NEWS newsletter, and are answered by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE), Child Care Licensing.

Children sitting

Question: I would like to transport my child care children on summer field trips, what child care regulations do I need to follow?
Answer: The regulation for transportation is K.A.R. 28-4-130. There are multiple areas of transportation that need to be followed, for a full list review the regulation. Here are a few:
A signed permission slip by a parent or guardian and maintained in each child’s file.
Each transporting vehicle shall be maintained in safe operating condition.
All emergency release forms and health assessments for the children you are transporting are in the vehicle.
The first aid kit needs to be well supplied. A first-aid kit must be in the transporting vehicle and should include supplies required in K.A.R. 28-4-130(a)(4)(B)
All vehicles shall be equipped with individual restraints for the children.
Safety of the children riding in the vehicle shall be protected at all times.
Staff/child ratios are maintained.
Supervision must be maintained at all times.
The destination, the time children leave the child care facility, the adults responsible for the children while off premises, and the estimated time of return shall be posted in a place accessible to parents as required in K.A.R. 28-4-124.

Question: Are parents required to complete a medication form if I am using sunscreen or insect repellent?
Answer: Sunscreen is not considered a medication, so parental permission is not required n order for program staff to apply it. It is strongly suggested that programs get signed permission and inform parents/guardians that it will be applied when and where necessary. Another option is for parents to send some bug spray for their child to be left at the facility. The programs could keep it labeled and locked. This would also apply to bug spray.

Question: What types of emergencies should be included in a child care provider’s emergency preparedness plan?
Answer: Child care providers are responsible for the health, safety and welfare of the children in their care. Providers need to know how to respond quickly and calmly in an emergency. When considering what types of emergencies to include in your plan – focus on the hazards and threats determined to be of high consequence and most likely to occur, such as:
Bomb treat, Criminal activity, Earthquake, Emergency closure, Fire, Smoke, Flooding, Gas leak, Hazardous material exposure, Ice/snow storms, Injury/medical emergency, Severe storms, Structural damage to facility
Tornadoes, Utility outages (power, water), Missing, lost or abducted child
KDHE has many resources available, click here for more!

LOOKING FOR CHILD CARE? Click here for a free list of Kansas programs