Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care
Ask any child care provider who cares for infants and I’m sure they will tell you that their program is breastfeeding friendly…but did you know that there is actually a way to check?
Child Care Program Breastfeeding Designation
The Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition maintains a list of child care providers across our state who have been designated as breastfeeding friendly. This list helps mothers interested in maintaining their breastfeeding journey find a child care program near them who will support them in their goals. These programs have met the five criteria as listed by the Kansas Breastfeeding Coalition:
- Creates a culturally appropriate breastfeeding friendly environment.
- Has written policies that reflects their support of and commitment to breastfeeding mothers.
- Supports and provides accurate information to breastfeeding mothers and family members.
- Ensures that all staff are trained in the skills to support and promote breastfeeding.
- The facility has written policies that reflects their support and commitment of breastfeeding employees.
August is National Breastfeeding Month
Chances are that your child care program is already meeting three or four of those five criteria! August is National Breastfeeding month and contains World Breastfeeding week. Let’s love on all of our new mommas by helping them find a program that will support them in their breastfeeding goals!
You can find the Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Designation application and toolkit here.
Reach out to your local Child Care Nurse Consultant for help achieving any of the five criteria by going to our website and clicking on “Schedule an Introductory Meeting”.